Saturday, September 3, 2016

COVERING THEIR TRACKS: "English Murder Mystery" - The Lucksmiths

"I love her but she loves Agatha Christie." She sure does, me lad.

What a great song! A girl obsessed with Agatha Christie's work and the narrator of the tune is head over heels in love with her. He can't even make her a meal without her suspecting that he's added a special ingredient. Poor guy. Allusions include Peter Falk as Columbo, Miss Scarlet from the Clue® board game, and anything having to do with the works of Agatha Christie and the entire genre of traditional English detective novel.

I'd never heard of The Lucksmiths, an Australian indie rock group based in Melbourne, until I uncovered this song. I'm sure their other music is just as witty and fun.



We took a cliche cliff top walk
I made the mistake of mentioning Peter Falk
She says American TV has killed the murder mystery
'Cause the killer is always caught by 10:23


Written by Marty Donald, ©Marty Donald/Candle Records

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my! That's awesome. Thanks for sharing, John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I don't have your email. Thank you so much for the gorgeous book, which I love too much to risk reading. (Well, maybe eventually). I am not able to go to Bouchercon after all-my husband is ill. But this is my prize instead. A million thanks. I have great friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check with my sister in law and see if it rings a bell - thanks John, all new to me too!

    ReplyDelete